Kangaroos Tour 1994 Series

Like us on Facebook Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Twitter

Join us on our forums Jump on the forums

Support us! Become a Rugby League Project Patron!

Game 8

Wales 4 lost to Australia 46

Match URL
Sunday, October 30th, 1994
John Connolly
Ninian Park (Cardiff)
  Wales Australia
  4 46

Match Stats

Halftime Score 0 30
Scrums 12 11
Penalties 10 6

Match Scoresheet

Sin Bin (10min)   Kevin Ellis   David Fairleigh
    Phil Ford   Paul Sironen
Tries   Daio Powell   Steve Renouf (2)
        Brad Fittler
        Greg Florimo
        David Furner
        Mal Meninga
        Brett Mullins
        Rod Wishart
Goals       Rod Wishart (7)


Fullback 1. Phil Ford 1. Brett Mullins
Wing 2. Anthony Sullivan 2. Rod Wishart
Centre 3. Scott Gibbs 3. Mal Meninga (c)
Centre 4. John Devereux 4. Steve Renouf
Wing 5. Adrian Hadley 5. Wendell Sailor
Five-Eighth 6. Iestyn Harris 6. Kevin Walters
Halfback 7. Kevin Ellis 7. Allan Langer
Front Row 8. David Young 8. Glenn Lazarus
Hooker 9. Jonathan Griffiths 9. Steve Walters
Front Row 10. Ian Marlow 10. Ian Roberts
Second Row 11. Paul Moriarty 11. Paul Sironen
Second Row 12. Rowland Phillips 12. David Furner
Lock 13. Mark Perrett 13. Brad Fittler
Bench 14. Gerald Cordle 14. Greg Florimo
Bench 15. Jason Lee 15. David Fairleigh
Bench 16. Richard Webster 16. Paul Harragon
Bench 17. Daio Powell    
Coach   Clive Griffiths   Bob Fulton

Match Report

Like Julius Caesar two thousand years earlier, the Kangaroos came, saw and conquered on their 1994 tour of Britain, and Wales were just another obstacle to be blown away by the green and gold juggernaut.

In truth Wales were always going to be against it with their captain incapacitated after dislocating a shoulder on the way to guiding Great Britain to an historic victory over the Australians at Wembley, and a number of players showed up well in the circumstances. None were better than the debutante Iestyn Harris, the 18 year old Warrington winger having a highly promising game filling in the stand-off position vacated by Davies.

In a tough and explosive physical encounter the Australians drew first blood early with David Furner's try, and the tone for the game was set. Wales' night took a double turn for the worse with 10 minutes gone as John Devereux had his jaw egg shelled by Meninga's shoulder in the tackle and David Young left the field to have an eye gash stitched up. Though Young would return, Devereux's injury was extremely serious and the Widnes centre had to have a plate inserted to repair a bone smashed in four places.

Shortly after the combative Kevin Ellis traded blows with Paul Sironen and instigated a mass brawl with Gareth Cordle and Wendell Sailor taking a particular dislike to each other. Ellis and Sironen were yellow carded and with both sides down to 12 men Kevin Walters put Steve Renouf into a gap to increase Australia's advantage on the scoreboard. Phil Ford's sin-binning for dissent left Wales down to 11 players, and the gaps in the defence became huge.

Clive Griffiths was forced to reshuffle his backs, and switched Sullivan from the wing to fullback. He was helpless as his long striding opposite number from

Canberra Brett Mullins cruised to the line, and after Sullivan failed to control Langer's skidding kick, Rod Wishart was in for a fourth Australian try. Mal Meninga crossed in first half injury time to see Wales head for the dressing room staring at a 30-0 deficit.

The second half began more promisingly for Wales, with David Fairleigh yellow carded for an illegal challenge on Kevin Ellis. They didn't take advantage of the numerical superiority but no sooner had Fairleigh returned than Ellis put up a high kick across the Australian defence and Daio Powell dropped on the loose ball to get Wales' off the mark.

That would be the only joy they had on the scoresheet, though it must be said that their second half defence did well to restrict the Australians to three tries through Renouf, Florimo and Fittler. The Australians had enjoyed almost total possession and territory.

Steve Renouf was adjudged Man of the Match and his outstanding pace and strength had overwhelmed the Welsh defence. With the Walters brothers and Alfie Langer calling the shots from midfield, this was a truly formidable opposition, and team manager Mike Nicholas admitted "I'm happy that we stuck in there. We could have been annihilated".

Source: WalesRL.co.uk

This match is a part of the following:


Last modified: Mon, 22 Apr 2019 02:55:29 +0000 (Sydney time)