England vs. Wales

Like us on Facebook Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Twitter

Join us on our forums Jump on the forums

Support us! Become a Rugby League Project Patron!

England 42 def. Wales 4

Match URL
Saturday, October 29th, 2011
Kick Off
2:30 PM (local time)
Henry Perenara
Leigh Sports Village Stadium (Leigh)
  England Wales
  42 4

Match Stats

Halftime Score 14 0
Scrums 10 8
Penalties 4 7

Match Scoresheet

Tries   Sam Tomkins (4)   Elliot Kear
    Chris Heighington    
    Jack Reed    
    Gareth Widdop    
    Kirk Yeaman    
Goals   Kevin Sinfield (5/8)   Lee Briers (0/1)


Fullback 1. Sam Tomkins 1. Danny Jones
Wing 2. Ryan Hall 2. Elliot Kear
Centre 3. Jack Reed 3. Ian Webster
Centre 4. Kirk Yeaman 4. Christiaan Roets
Wing 5. Tom Briscoe 5. Rhys Williams
Five-Eighth 6. Kevin Sinfield 6. Lee Briers (c)
Halfback 7. Rangi Chase 7. Matt Seamark
Front Row 8. James Graham 8. Jordan James
Hooker 9. James Roby 9. Neil Budworth
Front Row 10. Jamie Peacock (c) 10. Gil Dudson
Second Row 11. Gareth Ellis 11. Tyson Frizell
Second Row 12. Ben Westwood 12. Andy Bracek
Lock 13. Chris Heighington 13. Ben Flower
Bench 14. Gareth Widdop 14. Ian Watson
Bench 15. Adrian Morley 15. Ross Divorty
Bench 16. Jamie Jones-Buchanan 16. Aled James
Bench 17. Jon Wilkin 17. Craig Kopczak
Coach   Steve McNamara   Iestyn Harris

Match Report

England secured victory in their first game of the Gillette Four Nations, but it wasn't in style. Wales fought all the way, were rewarded finally with a second half try and showed a lot of promise.

While the away side were always regarded as the underdogs for this game, England showed little that would worry Australia or New Zealand and, unless they can pull something drastic out of the hat, both antipodean sides will surely cruise into the Elland Road final in three weeks time.

England took the lead from their first set of six, but the try came after a lengthy delay.

Jordan James was flattened after just 10 seconds by Ben Westwood causing a worry, was taken off and Craig Kopzcak replaced him. Thankfully the big prop made his return on 57 minutes.

From the restart, Sam Tomkins went over. Sinfield missed the tricky conversion.

Lee Briers kicked a 40-20 giving Wales crucial possession on England's 10 metre line but a low pass causing a knock-on scuppered the try-scoring opportunity.

England attempted a second try from the re-start scrum but good defence, led by stalwart Neil Budworth, kept the home side out.

Wales almost got a try back. Kopzcak went through the defence like a knife through butter. Briers' cross-field set up a chance for Elliot Kear but he was tackled short of the line.

But from England's next attack, Tomkins scored his second, reaching out for the line despite pressure from the Welsh back-line. Sinfield converted and England were 10-0 up.

Wales had an immediate chance for a try back after Jamie Peacock dropped the ball from kick-off, Rhys Williams had the opportunity to capitalise from the scrum but was pushed into touch.

But England increased their lead again from the next attack when Kick Yeaman grounded in the corner. Sinfield's conversion sailed wide.

There was a chance for a fourth but an excellent Matt Seamark interception put a stop to the marauding white shirts.

Again Wales went for a try but two consecutive handling errors sent the ball into touch.

With the score at 14-0 at half-time, wonderkid Tomkins was first on the board after the interval, breaking through of the Wales back-line to ground under the sticks. Sinfield goaled to make the score 20-0.

England's fifth try came straight away. Westwood set up Jack Reed to go in at the corner.

Tomkins soon followed him over for his fourth of the game which Sinfield converted to make the score 30-0.

There was a loud and relieved cheer around the stadium when Wales got a try on the board on 66 minutes, Elliot Kear scoring in the corner, his eighth try in as many appearances, after excellent work from Danny Jones and Andy Bracek. Briers missed the tough kick.

However it was England who had the final say, to beat the popular 30-point spread bet that most bookies had predicted. Chris Heighington under the sticks and Sinfield easily converting.

Rangi Chase, who had a quiet game until, looked to have scored a further English try but it was ruled out by the video referee who judged the ball to have gone out play before the Kiwi born half-back slid in.

However, after Wales gave the ball away on the hooter, Gareth Widdop rubbed salt into the wounds and Sinfield converted.

Wales may have been defeated but will hold their heads up high going into their Wembley date against New Zealand next Saturday.

Source: WalesRugbyLeague.co.uk

This match is a part of the following:


Last modified: Tue, 21 May 2019 12:52:37 +0000 (Sydney time)